The Meeting
Pietro Longhi (Pietro Falca) (Italian, Venice 1701–1785 Venice)
Date: 1746
Medium: Oil on canvas
Dimensions: 24 x 19 1/2 in. (61 x 49.5 cm)
Credit Line: Gift of Samuel H. Kress, 1936
Accession Number: 36.16
Metropolitan Museum of Art
I chose this painting because next project Mary's students will be working on is mask-making, and I really wanted to find a work of art that referenced masks rather than a mask itself. I thought this image would work well because the masks add an air of intrigue, and there is clearly some kind of narrative happening here which would allow students easy entry into the work. I found it after watching this audio/visual (not really a video) here: http://www.metmuseum.org/connections/masks
The Connections section of the Met website is a great place to get ideas and think about big ideas and works of art that go along with them!

This was a great image choice and I really liked that you were able to find a painting. I only wish I could sensor some of the images/dialogue in the Met resource you referenced here to make it kid-friendly! Still, by providing title, artist, etc. for each image, I can put together my own version for the kids. Great job!
ReplyDelete