(Italian, 1914-1961)
La Serveuse
ca. 1960
Oil on canvas
(86.66)
Gift of Mr. and Mrs. George Schriever
University of Missouri Museum of Art and Archaeology
Assessing
The students were ready and willing to participate in the discussion as always. There were several more basic observations that there was a woman holding a tray. One student suggested there was a chip on the I heard a lot more conditional language this time around, for instance the student who speaks first say, "I think it's a woman holding a tray" and goes on to say that it looks like she's wearing a dress, "kind of." Other students also begin their observations with "I think" which I think demonstrates a big shift in the discussion. Another student says, "I think she could be holding a pear on a tray or a hat" demonstrating their flexible thinking and questioning about different interpretations of the artwork. Because they had already been over the techniques of abstraction before, they were prepared to notice more about the techniques used in this painting as well, describing the geometric fracturing and color variances across the figure. They noticed that the figure was divided vertically and had a lot of the questions about what that division might mean. They agreed and disagreed with each other on this element in particular. Some suggested that it was two people that might be of opposite sexes and possibly different races fused into one while another student suggested that it was shadows and light that created the different tonalities on the face. They were generally respectful.
I did not really vary the questions much except to specify, "What do you say that makes you say that this might be a hat?" etc. Similarly to what I said with video 1, I think this was a good opportunity for students to apply what they had been learning about abstracted portraits. While they didn't mention fracturing or unrealistic color in this discussion, some of the students did discuss the differences in color throughout the figure and noticed the emphasized geometric shapes. This gave them another example of an abstracted portrait to pack away with the other information they learned about abstraction and what it looks like.
Reflecting
I felt a little awkward with this discussion, but I'm not sure why. It might have been because this is a work from the Museum that I am more familiar with and I may have felt a little uneasy letting go of the standard interpretations. The first student who suggested that the figure was two different people caught me a little off guard and I think I need work on my comfort with talking about socially sensitive topics like race and gender. I felt at ease with the VTS questions and practices pretty quickly, but I think it will be more difficult for me to begin altering the questions as I'm in the groove! I also continue to skip over paraphrasing between the first and second questions but it doesn't seem to make too much of a difference either way.
Planning
I need to focus specifically on altering the questions. Again I need to remember to paraphrase first before asking the second question, and I would also like to work on my posture. I need to work on being more mindful of my actions and remind myself of what I'm working on right before I start a discussion so these things are fresh in my mind.
Assessing
The students were ready and willing to participate in the discussion as always. There were several more basic observations that there was a woman holding a tray. One student suggested there was a chip on the I heard a lot more conditional language this time around, for instance the student who speaks first say, "I think it's a woman holding a tray" and goes on to say that it looks like she's wearing a dress, "kind of." Other students also begin their observations with "I think" which I think demonstrates a big shift in the discussion. Another student says, "I think she could be holding a pear on a tray or a hat" demonstrating their flexible thinking and questioning about different interpretations of the artwork. Because they had already been over the techniques of abstraction before, they were prepared to notice more about the techniques used in this painting as well, describing the geometric fracturing and color variances across the figure. They noticed that the figure was divided vertically and had a lot of the questions about what that division might mean. They agreed and disagreed with each other on this element in particular. Some suggested that it was two people that might be of opposite sexes and possibly different races fused into one while another student suggested that it was shadows and light that created the different tonalities on the face. They were generally respectful.
I did not really vary the questions much except to specify, "What do you say that makes you say that this might be a hat?" etc. Similarly to what I said with video 1, I think this was a good opportunity for students to apply what they had been learning about abstracted portraits. While they didn't mention fracturing or unrealistic color in this discussion, some of the students did discuss the differences in color throughout the figure and noticed the emphasized geometric shapes. This gave them another example of an abstracted portrait to pack away with the other information they learned about abstraction and what it looks like.
Reflecting
I felt a little awkward with this discussion, but I'm not sure why. It might have been because this is a work from the Museum that I am more familiar with and I may have felt a little uneasy letting go of the standard interpretations. The first student who suggested that the figure was two different people caught me a little off guard and I think I need work on my comfort with talking about socially sensitive topics like race and gender. I felt at ease with the VTS questions and practices pretty quickly, but I think it will be more difficult for me to begin altering the questions as I'm in the groove! I also continue to skip over paraphrasing between the first and second questions but it doesn't seem to make too much of a difference either way.
Planning
I need to focus specifically on altering the questions. Again I need to remember to paraphrase first before asking the second question, and I would also like to work on my posture. I need to work on being more mindful of my actions and remind myself of what I'm working on right before I start a discussion so these things are fresh in my mind.

As always, very insightful comments! I love that you're being such a good sport about entertaining other possibilities yourself when you are familiar with art historians' "takes" on images you VTS. If you keep in mind that students are constructing meaning that makes sense to them while developing the flexibility to entertain other possibilities as their experience with art and artist grows. Think of VTS meaning as a journey, not a destination!
ReplyDeleteI also have noticed the increase in students' conditional language. Hard to wipe the grin off my face when I hear it!
LOVE this piece and enjoyed watching you VTS it!